- At least 100,000 American children are being exploited every year through pornography or prostitution.
- The average age a child is first exploited through prostitution is 13 years old, though children as young as infants have been identified in pornography.
- 1 out of every 5 pornographic images is of a child; and 55% of child pornography comes from the U.S.
- The sale of child pornography in the U.S. has become more than a $3 billion annual industry.
- In a study of 932 sex addicts, 90% of the men, and 77% of the women indicated that looking at pornography played a significant role in their addiction. Viewing pornography essentially rewires the brain and drastically influences how dopamine and other chemicals are received and used in the brain.
- Age is the primary factor of vulnerability. Pre-teen or adolescent girls are more susceptible to the calculated advances, deception, and manipulation tactics used by traffickers/pimps – no youth is exempt from falling prey to these tactics. Traffickers target locations youth frequent such as schools, malls, parks, bus stops, shelters and group homes. Runaway or homeless youth as well as those with a history of physical and sexual abuse have an increased risk of being trafficked.
If you would like to learn more about human trafficking and how to help, here are some resources:
With growing awareness for human trafficking in the media and elsewhere we are making strides to fight this horrid crime. According to the Polaris Project, 5 states were most improved this past year: Delaware, New Hampshire, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Utah. This is a great step, however we can and must do more!
We at Free Utah Now feel that we can make a difference. One way is by partnering with local Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), faith-based groups, and local government agencies who are on the frontlines of this battle. All proceeds from this fundraiser will go directly to the Asian Immigration and Refugee Center that works directly with the Utah Trafficking in Persons Task Force. Attached is a letter from Tammie Garcia Atkin Chair, of UTIP, to learn more about what they do.
If you have any Questions, Comments, or Concerns, you can reach the Free Utah Now team at firstname.lastname@example.org